Musical Growth – New Beginnings

Today we received our midterm assessments. On mine, it was recommended that I try using a capo in order to help with the range of the song. I have tried singing an octave higher and it’s pretty difficult for my voice, but the capo has made such a difference. When I have the capo on the second fret and play the song with a slighter quicker tempo it allows me to sing more on key and feel confident in playing Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World.

It was also suggested that I attempt a couple of new songs for the final. I have selected Can’t Help Falling in Love with You. Ever since David taught me how to fingerpick, I have been obsessed with how beautiful it sounds. I have been using a YouTube tutorial in order to learn the strumming and fingerpicking pattern. The new chords that I am learning are B7, G7, and A7. The song is in 6/8 time, meaning that there are 6 beats per measure. If you are numbering the strings from the top (closest to your chin when playing) of the ukulele down, the fingerpicking pattern is [ 1 – 2 – 3 – 4 – 3 – 2] per chord when playing the verses. The strum pattern for the bridge is    [ D – d – d – D – d – d ] per chord. “D” stands for hard strum down, and “d” represents a soft strum. The strumming is done with the thumb and is something I am struggling with a little given the fact that it incorporates dynamics, and the chords are also slightly difficult in that section of the song.

I am incredibly excited to learn more songs, and will hopefully learn more than just one new one.