EdTech Inquiry – Further Research

This week I have been working hard on researching my topic. Computer-Assisted Instruction (CAI) is the use of computers to provide and enhance instruction in the classroom. CAI can rand from simple programs to teach typing to a complex system that uses the latest technology to teach new keyhole surgery techniques.

Through my research, I found that CAI can help all students in and outside of the classroom. In terms of students with disabilities, CAI helps students with physical and learning disabilities, as well as deaf students.

Compared to the other assisted technologies that my other group members researched, CAI is one of the cheaper options of incorporating software in the classroom. Students and teachers find that CAI, especially in terms of educational games, are fairly accessible. Where text-to-speech and speech-to-text are typically over a couple of hundred dollars per student, CAI programs are sometimes free, and far easier to find.

There are two basic types of CAI: tutor and tool. Tutoring is split into four different categories: Drill and practice, tutorials, simulations, and games. Drill and practice use the behaviourist model where the repeated practice is focused on lower-level cognitive skills. Drill and Practice are typically frowned upon as it follows the old school models, and is not adaptable. Tutorials are the most common type of tutor in elementary school. Tutorials allow students to practice different skills and assess their learning. Simulations are not usually seen within schools as it is used for working with real-life tools, such as training to be a pilot or surgeon. Games are one of the most motivating for younger students. They incorporate and competitive element with other students and reinforces the knowledge that the learner is assumed to already have. The second category of tools enhances the teaching process, usually by focusing on one particular learning task and aims to improve it. Tools could look like highlighting different math symbols or bolding important terms.

Next, I am going to look into the positive and negative effects of CAI.