Macaroni Moments with Maxie and David

Today Maxie and I went over to David’s van and made some Macaroni and Cheese. We used my all-time favourite recipe for Mac and Cheese, my Granny’s recipe. Her mac n cheese uses sharp cheddar and has a bit of a tang to it, and I love that about it.

Here is the recipe we used:

• 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 cups old cheddar, grated
  • 2 cups macaroni
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 TBSP Imperial Cheese
  • soda crackers

The recipe calls for a microwave to melt the cheese and mix the butter, but given that we were in the van, we heated and mixed everything on the stove. Place butter, flour and salt in a pot and heat until butter is melted. Add milk and stir until sauce becomes thick (took about 5 minutes). Mix in cheddar and imperial cheese until melted. While making the cheese sauce, cook 2 cups of macaroni for 8-10 minutes and drain. When done, add drained macaroni and cheese sauce into a casserole dish. Top with crushed soda crackers. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, or until crackers are golden and cheese is bubbly.

Cooking with friends definitely added an element of fun to the cooking process. We worked together to measure, stir, and add ingredients and did crosswords while we waited. I had a marvellous time making my Grans Mac n Cheese, and would definitely want to cook in David’s Van again!